Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Complete Maus


I had never read a graphic novel before, but this caught my eye at Sogang's bookstore. Last year I read Part One and this year I got the complete book to read Part 2. To my surprise, I found this to be a sophisticated reading experience.

Art Spiegelman tells the story of his parents experience as Jews on the run and then in German concentration camps. It's a moving, detailed story of their experience within a frame of a cartoonist son, often impatient with his father's frugality, long windedness and desire to have his son live with him, who records his father's and his family's history. It's realistic and riveting. The illustrations capture the feel of time, place and emotion. It did win the Pulitzer Prize so any library should have it.



An exhibit about the writing of Maus

No comments: