Monday, June 16, 2008

Prince Caspian

I read C.S. Lewis' Prince Caspian (Narnia) for my online Act One book club this month. Although I’ve read other C.S. Lewis books, nonfiction and Till We Have Faces, I’d only read The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe of the Chronicles.

I love how much charm and humor the narrator has from page one to the end. The story is allegorical, but the symbolism is well weighted in the story. It is there and available for the average reader to pick up, but it doesn’t overwhelm the story.

I liked the characters and how they relate to each other. I like how the narrator explains them, for example relating them to how we might feel or how we might get when we’re tired or hungry. It’s humble and respectful of us and the characters.

I took a film class Roger Ebert taught years ago and he always said the best genre films (but I think the same can be said of books) interests the person who’s not “into” that genre. I don’t read fantasy books, but I did like this. Very much.

I looked to see if the film is near me. It isn't. Guess I'll see it on DVD.

I did read The World According to Narnia: Christian Meaning in C. S. Lewis's Beloved Chronicles, and appreciated the further analysis of the story.

No comments: