Friday, September 12, 2008

King Lear

I finished King Lear (Norton Critical Editions)for Loyola Law School's Great Books. This may mark me as a philostine, but I just didn't get into it. Lear's making his daughter's prove their love and all the disaster and madness that ensues seemed needless, which is sort of the point. I just didn't care. It is a classic that I can now check off my list.

Perhaps the discussion, if we have one ever, will shed light and help me appreciate the play more. Watching a cheap film production didn't help all that much. I'd like to see Kenneth Branaugh or some other high caliber actor in it. It'll be 20 years before Branaugh is old enough for it.

I am reading Shakespeare Is Hard, But So Is Life: A Radical Guide to Shakespearean Tragedyand it's helped me appreciate the play.

No comments: