Sunday, November 16, 2008

Shock Doctrine

My friend Yuki recommended The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalismso I ordered it from the library. (My library got it from Wilmette.)

What a powerful book! Yep, I'm shocked. To my core. Naomi Klein, an investigative journalist from The Nation looks into the work of Milton Friedman, the University of Chicago economist. She examines his theory that the best time to implement change, economic, political, educational, whatever, is right after a disaster hits. When a population has been hit with a hurricane, tsumani, or coup, they are unable to question or oppose radical changes to their systems. So that's the "best" time for say the Chicago Boys or Neocons to enter the scene and experiment with other people's countries or cities.

I will warn people that this is not a cheery book. Don't read it after reading about say some horrible tort or injury. So for me it's take a long time to get through.

I haven't finished the book and it must go back to the library. I will get it again after my exams are done.

No comments: