Monday, May 25, 2009

The Bridge of San Luis Rey

The May choice for my online book club is Thornton Wilder's novel The Bridge of San Luis Rey. I was curious about reading a Wilder novel and can see his style for description throughout. Yet this book left me a bit cold.

It's the story of Brother Juniper's attempt to figure out the reason why the rickety old San Luis Rey bridge suddenly collapsed killing five people. Was it fate? Retribution? What? Through this search we get to read the stories of five characters whose lives are all at a turning point.

I just couldn't get that interested in these characters or Brother Juniper. I really felt that old bridges collapse in this world that God created. They aren't likely to collapse when no one's on them, are they? I may have found the story more compelling and fresh if I read it when it first came out. Now several Latin authors are well known and weave wonderful stories. I'm thinking of Isabelle Allende, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Mario Vargas Llosa, etc.

For more on the book you can go to Thornton Wilder Society website

No comments: